December 3rd, 2013
I’m really looking forward to the holiday season since this will be my first in my new house. Since we’ve moved in May, I’ve brought home only 2 kinds of books: decorating books and baking cookbooks. It’s becoming a bit of an obsession.
While I’ve had good intentions on the decorating, I’ve only decided on half of the colors and painted only a quarter of the walls! (Anyone want to come paint my kitchen? Several gallons of paint are waiting for you. I’ll provide you a cake.)
I can’t seem to resist checking out any cookbook that has a pretty cake on the cover. I enjoy baking from scratch, but since we moved, I haven’t baked anything more complicated than the Hershey’s Chocolate Cake. You can find the easy recipe on the back of the cocoa box. Sorry, Vintage Cakes by Julie Richardson and Bake It Like You Mean It by Gesine Bullock-Prado, you look awesome, but I think you’re getting bumped to my New Year’s resolution list.
HOLIDAY TO DOs
- Check out Merry & Bright. I thumb through this book each year, but this holiday I can actually decorate my own house! Our new home’s mantle and chandelier are just begging to be decked.
- Plan our 4th annual holiday cookie decorating party.
- Get some tips from Cookie Swap by Julia M. Usher. She has a picture of an awesome 3-D cookie Christmas Tree.
- Come up with awesome prize ideas for the cookie swap. This year I’m thinking I need something special for all of my guests to take home and I saw some good options in Best of Christmas Ideas. They don’t look too complicated YET. Check back with me on this in about a week.
- Wrap my presents NOT the day before we head out to see family.
- Paint my kitchen. (I’m not joking, if you paint it for me, I WILL bake and ice you a cake.)
Who knows if I can get all this done, but I’ll have fun browsing ideas and trying. Checking out books from the library always helps me get in the spirit and find inspiration. What holiday traditions will you make and improve upon this year?