November 7th, 2016
OverDrive, Cecil County Public Library’s service for checking out digital books and audiobooks to your computer, tablet or phone, is getting a new look next month. The refresh of the site will offer a number of improvements for finding titles, exploring recommendations and managing your account. Using OverDrive, you can check out up to six items at a time and once your item is due, it disappears from your device so there are never any late fees.
Here are a few of the things you can look forward to with the OverDrive upgrade:
• Items will have a small banner on each book cover image that will let you know at a glance if the title is immediately available to check out or if you need to join the wait list.
• If the book you want is not available and you place it on hold, OverDrive will suggest similar titles that are currently available for immediate reading or listening.
• Did you know you can control the length of time of your OverDrive checkout? All of you speed readers can select a seven-day loan and not have to worry about returning things early and can keep checking out up to six items at a time. If you prefer to have a 21-day loan, you can choose that option, too.
• When you search for a title or genre in OverDrive, you will be able to share your search – just copy the text in the search bar and paste it in an email or social media.
• The OverDrive site’s look has been modernized with improved viewing on mobile devices. This will make it easier to check out an audiobook on your smartphone to play during your commute every day.
• Our favorite improvement is autocomplete in searches which makes it easier to search for that specific book or author when you can’t quite remember the exact spelling.
Have we piqued your curiosity? To preview the new site and improvements, go to the OverDrive site: www.maryland.lib.overdrive.com and click the red “preview” bar at the bottom of the page. The refreshed site should go live on or about November 9th. We hope you enjoy these improvements for better access and overall experience for our library patrons.