June 12th, 2012
Ah, summer. The season for enjoying nature, barbequing, spending time with family and friends, and hearing the dreaded three words… “Mom I’m bored.” It seems like mere seconds after my children take that final bus ride home that they’re looking for something to do and looking at me to suggest it. My usual ideas like clean your room, unload the dishwasher, and vacuum the living room only generate exaggerated eye-rolling, or blank stares followed by, “I’m hungry–what do we have to eat?” Luckily, there are lots of fun things to do with your kids in Cecil County this summer, most of which are free or very cheap. Here’s my top ten list:
1. Dream Big at the Cecil County Public Library and sign up for summer reading. Kids, teens and adults can win awesome prizes and the library has a variety of entertaining (and free!) summer events for all ages. Click here to search the library’s calendar.
2. Take a hike on the Blue Trail to Turkey Point Lighthouse at Elk Neck State Park.
3. Travel back in time with a visit to historic Mount Harmon Plantation.
4. View the largest gathering of 1964-1972 Chevelles and El Caminos on the east coast at the North East Community Park on June 23.
5. Make waves at the Canal Fest in Historic South Chesapeake City on June 30.
6. Enjoy free music on Main Street (corner of North and Main) in Elkton every Thursday evening from 5:30-7:30 pm.
7. Learn about life during the war of 1812 at Elkton United Methodist Church where living history actors will speak in character as Francis Scott Key, Rosalie Stier Calvert, and Mary Pickersgill. Audiences will have the opportunity to interact with the characters in a question and answer session following the performances. July 6-8, from 4-6 pm.
8. Attend the 59th Annual Cecil County Fair July 20-28 and make sure to stop by the Cecil County Public Library’s booth!
9. Drop by Hart’s Peach Festival for music, puppets, and peach goodies at Hart’s Amphitheater in North East. August 11 from noon-4 pm.
10. Cruise to the Cecil County Dragway.
What are your best ideas for summer fun in Cecil County?