December 7th, 2011
When I read a book, I don’t really “see” much. Characters are just vague outlines in my imagination, like people seen at a distance without my glasses. Their words are spoken in my voice, making some scenarios a little awkward. Descriptions of beautiful vistas? Consider them instantly forgotten. Perish the thought of having to imagine what a fantastical creature looks like, even with a long string of adjectives to guide me.
This problem makes Fantasy an untouchable genre. Science Fiction is a considerable struggle as well. Remove the setting descriptions in Westerns and it’s just a bunch of faceless cowboys with nondescript guns and war cries that sound a lot like my “ack! a spider!” shriek.
I don’t like being confined to a few genres, particularly because I help people find their next favorite book. So I cheat a little. Watching movies and TV shows based on books helps me see the scenery, hear the characters, and experience the story more fully before I read the book. This ruins things for people with a rich visual mindscape. (You can easily pick them out of a crowd because they say things like, “I can’t believe they casted so-in-so in that movie. He doesn’t look at ALL how he’s supposed to look.”) To them, I tip my hat.
Check out this list of TV shows based on books and make your own comparisons!
• Bones (FOX): Temperance Brennan series by Kathy Reichs
• Christy (CBS): Christy by Catherine Marshall
• Dexter (Showtime): Dexter Morgan series by Jeffry Lindsay
• The Dresden Files (Syfy): The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher
• Flashforward (ABC): Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer
• Game of Thrones (HBO): A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin
• Friday Night Lights (NBC): Friday Night Lights: a Town, a Team, and a Dream by H.G. Bissinger
• Gossip Girl (The CW): Gossip Girl series by Cecily von Ziegesar
• The Inspector Lynley Mysteries (BBC): Inspector Lynley series by Elizabeth George
• Rizzoli & Isles (TNT): Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles series by Tess Gerritsen
• Kitchen Confidential (FOX): Kitchen Confidential Anthony Bourdain
• Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family): Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard
• True Blood (HBO): Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries by Charlaine Harris
• The Vampire Diaries (The CW): Vampire Diaries series by L.J. Smith
• The Walking Dead (AMC): The Walking Dead graphic novel series by Robert Kirkman
For a list of books that inspired movies, click here.
When you read, do you “see” anything? What’s your favorite book/film/TV show adaptation?
Tags: adults, author, best of, bones tv show, Book Mate, books that inspired movies, Cecil County, cecil county public library, circulation, collection, dexter, dresden files, friday night lights, game of thrones, genre fiction, gossip girl, information, inspector lynley mysteries, kitchen confidential, library, pretty little liars, reading, Recommendations, rizzoli & isles, teens, television, temperance brennan, tv shows based on books, vampire diaries, walking dead