Resources for Veterans and Military Families
Cecil County Public Library Resources
- Military Resource Collection: Explore our collection of adult, children and teen books, DVDs, and children's learning resource kits that connect military members and their families with materials that address the unique challenges of military life. Resources include materials about deployment, families, relationships, women's issues, re-entering civilian life, employment, post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury, job training, starting a business, and more. View a small sample of the available materials, or the complete list.
- One-on-One Tutoring - Contact Katherine Galbreath at the Perryville Library for 60 minute One-on-One computer instruction. Topics include basic computers, internet basics and search strategies (including on-line job searching), email setup and usage instruction, and basic Word and Excel.
- Career Center - Market your military experience to employers; study for the ASVAB, military flight aptitude tests, and officer candidate tests
- Small Business Information Center - The Small Business Information Center provides FREE information and individual assistance with the process of starting or running a small business.
- Get a free library card - Cards are valid at any Cecil County Public Library branch location.
- Did you serve in the military? Did a member of your family serve in the military? Learn more about Maryland Veterans Benefits and Services by visiting the Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs website.
- Veterans' resources at Cecil College - Benefits and programs available for veterans at Cecil College
- Maryland's Commitment to Veterans provides a confidential forum for veterans and family members to discuss challenges they are facing.
- Maryland Center for Veterans Education and Training - A non-profit organization established to provide veterans with comprehensive housing and supportive services including education, training and employment programs, emergency or transitional housing, and health care.
- US Army MWR at Aberdeen Proving Ground - Offers programs and services at Aberdeen Proving Ground that support readiness and resilience for Soldiers and Families.
- Elkton Vet Center - Services to Veterans, Active Duty, National Guard and Reserve troops.
- Military OneSource - "A 24/7 Resource for Military Members, Spouses and Families," has numerous resources and links to additional resources provided by the DOD and other organizations.
- Military Child Education Coalition - The site promotes quality education for military children impacted by mobility, transition and separation. They partner with numerous organizations and link to art and writing contests for children.
- "Coming Together Around Military Families" - Offers numerous resources for military families from Zero to Three, a site which is dedicated to improving the lives of infants and toddlers. A quarterly online newsletter is available.
- United Through Reading - United Through Reading is dedicated to uniting separated family members through the bond of reading. One service they offer is to record a service member reading to his/her family and send the DVD to the family.
- Blue Star Families - Blue Star Families is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to strengthening America's military families through community building.
- Resiliency Programs - Free workshops through the American Red Cross that aim to help improve coping abilities, communication skills and personal wellness strategies.