Downloading eBooks from the Catalog
View and download eBooks and eAudiobooks from the Cecil County Public Library catalog!
To start, go to the Cecil County Public Library Catalog from the device you want to use to read or listen to your digital book unless you are using a Kindle e-reader like a Paperwhite or a Voyage. If you are using a smartphone or tablet (but not a Kindle e-reader), please be sure to download the OverDrive app.
- Checking Out
- Not sure what format to use?
- Continue Checkout
- Placing Holds
Choose Digital Catalog from the dropdown menu next to the little house to search only for eBooks and eAudiobooks.
You can also narrow your search from within the catalog by making a selection under the Format section on the left side of the search results page.
To check out an eBook or eAudiobook, click the Download button. If you haven't already, you will be asked to log in using your library card number and PIN. If you don't know your PIN and you have an email address registered as part of your library account, you can reset your PIN.
Not sure what format to use?
|Kindle eReader (Voyage or Paperwhite but not Fire)||Kindle||---|
Adobe Digital Editions/Adobe ePub
|Smartphone/tablet (including Kindle Fire)||
Adobe Digital Editions/Adobe ePub
You can use these formats for both Downloading (checking out) and Previewing (trying out).
If you choose the PDF format, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to read the file. Download it
- from the App Store (iOS)
- from the Google Play Store
- from the Amazon App Store
- for Macintosh
- for Windows
If you are reading an Adobe ePub/Adobe Digital Editions or a PDF on your desktop or laptop computer, you will need to install and authorize Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).
Once you choose your format and click or tap Check Out, users of different devices have different procedures.
You will be taken to Amazon.com to complete your download as usual. If you need help with this, please see our device guide for checking out eBooks using Kindle eReaders. Kindle eReaders have black and white screens and are only used to read eBooks. This is not the same thing as the Kindle Fire.
Your file will open and you can read it on your computer.
Pull down the top menu and tap your downloaded file. If you are given an option to choose what app to use to open the file, choose OverDrive.
Tap Open in OverDrive. Your file will open and you can read it on your iOS device.
If your eBook or eAudiobook is not available, you can place it on hold by clicking or tapping the Place Hold button.
If you have not logged in using your library card number and PIN, you will be prompted to do so. To place the hold, type in the email address associated with your OverDrive account and tap or click Place Hold. You will be notified via email when your hold is available.
Clicked download and nothing happened?
If you clicked Download and either nothing happened or the file downloaded and then nothing happened, you may need to disable pop-up blockers for our library catalog on your web browser. Don't disable pop-up blockers for all websites, but just for our catalog, which is http://ceco.ent.sirsi.net/. If you got a message asking if you would like to disable pop-up blockers for http://ceco.ent.sirsi.net/, it's okay to do that.
Disable pop-up blockers for
- Chrome - Go to https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95472?hl=en and scroll down until you see Always allow pop-ups for a specific site and follow those instructions.
- Internet Explorer - Go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/ie-security-privacy-settings#ie=ie-11 but after you make sure the box is checked, click or tap Settings to add our site.
- Firefox - Go to https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pop-blocker-settings-exceptions-troubleshooting#w_pop-up-blocker-settings and make sure that the box is checked, then click or tap Exceptions to add our site.
- Safari - This does not appear to be an issue in Safari, but feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having trouble downloading using Safari or any other web browser.
Want to read your eBook/eAudiobook on a device other than the one where you checked it out?
If you clicked download and downloaded an Adobe Digital Editions or Adobe ePub file using your desktop or laptop computer, and then realized that you want to read/listen to your book on your smartphone or tablet, that's okay! Just go to the device where you would like to read/listen and open your OverDrive app. From there, you can download your book from your Bookshelf. If you need help, try our guide to eBooks or our guide to eAudiobooks.
Having trouble downloading holds you placed in the catalog?
- Log into your account at http://maryland.lib.overdrive.com or log on using the OverDrive app.
- Tap or click Account (it should have a picture that looks like the head and shoulders of a person, near the top right of the screen)
- Tap or click Holds, just under Accounts
- You should have the option to check out your book there
Need to download your book again? While logged into your CCPL library catalog account, click or tap My Account. If the Checkouts tab is not showing, click or tap Checkouts. Right under Checkouts, you can click or tap Digital Checkouts. Download links are available for your current checkouts.