Resources for Your Nonprofit
Cecil County Public Library Databases
- Business Demographics - Fast and easy access to detailed demographic information with customizable geographic searches.
- Nonprofit Business Plan Builder - Built for aspiring entrepreneurs and those with existing nonprofits, it enables users to produce complete business plans.
- Maryland Community Services Locator - Search for a variety of community information, such as services, program information, maps, and databases.
- Starting a Nonprofit
Learn how to incorporate, select a board of directors, write bylaws, craft a mission statement, obtain tax-exempt status, develop a budget, create a marketing plan, explore fundraising options, and more.
- Nonprofit Fundraising Essentials
Delve into every area of nonprofit fundraising, including annual funds, special events, corporate relations, foundation relations, major gifts, and planned giving. You'll also learn about capital campaigns and find out why they're a crucial element of nonprofit fundraising.
- Introduction to Nonprofit Management
Learn how to transform your good intentions into a professional plan of action and understand the unique characteristics of nonprofit organizations while mastering the core knowledge necessary to become an effective leader in the nonprofit arena. Learn the role of the executive director, board of directors, special event and meeting management, and public relation strategies.
- Marketing Your Nonprofit
Learn how to use powerful marketing techniques to compete more effectively for customers, donors, members, and volunteers. You'll also learn how to persuade the media to communicate your organization's message and further its ideals and goals.
- A to Z Grant Writing
Learn how to raise needed funds by discovering how and where to look for potential funders who are a good match for your organization. You'll also learn how to network and develop true partnerships with a variety of funders, how to organize a successful grant-writing campaign, and how to put together a complete proposal package. This course speaks mainly to nonprofit organizations, schools, religious institutions, and municipalities seeking grants from foundation, corporate, government, and individual donors.
Lynda.com Video Trainings
Unlimited access to thousands of video courses led by industry experts. All you need is your library card number and PIN to get started. Look for such classes as Nonprofit Foundations or Social Media for Nonprofits.
Please click the book cover to locate the book in our catalog.
- Checklist for Starting a Nonprofit in Maryland - PDF format. Adobe Reader required.
- Maryland Association for Nonprofits
- GuideStar - Identify local nonprofits that exist in your community
- Register a charitable organization in Maryland
- GrantSpace - online tutorials and training related to starting and running a nonprofit
Foundation Center Information
- Foundation Centers exist to connect nonprofits with the resources they need, including research information, funding sources, and training opportunities.
- Find nearest Foundation Center
Cecil Business Resource Partners
A group of community organizations that exist to support local small businesses and nonprofits.
- Cecil County Public Library, the Small Business Information Center
- Small Business Development Center
- Cecil County Office of Economic Development
- Susquehanna Workforce Network
- Cecil College Business and Training Resource Center
- Business & Education Partnership Advisory Countil
- Cecil County Chamber of Commerce